Sunday, November 28, 2010

SATEAM Blog Carnival


Our SATEAM is doing another blog carnival.
Today our theme is a book review of our choice.

My choice is "Jewelry - two books in one" by Madeline Coles.



I bought the book a couple of years ago when I started my first
silver smith course. It has been a great help to me.
I did the sunflower bracelet shown on the cover and it was great fun.

The book contains 128 pages with lots of instructions, explanations
and photos.

It is divided in 4 parts themewise and actually in 2 parts physically.

It starts with a short "how to use the book", & continues with tools
and equipment (which was important to me being a newbie and
having no idea what tools I needed to get), the tools are shown with
photos plus explanations of how you can use them.
Next is a 2 page overview of materials that could be consumed in your
projects.

Ok and now the fun starts:

As mentioned the second part of the book is physically divided in
2 pieces, like a top book and a bottom one.
The top one is all about the projects and the bottom one refers to
the techniques that are used.

There are 23 projects in this book. Detailed instructions how to
make rings, necklaces, earrings, brooches and bracelets.

First you will see a picture about the end product, then a step
by step instruction of how to get there.

You are told about the materials you need, which tools you require
plus what techniques you will be using.
For example in the first project, a wax-carved ring, it states you
need to use techniques 1, 2, 3, 4. 5, 6 and 19.

Whilst having your project page open (top section) you can flip the
bottom section of the book over to see the technique related pages.
Very handy.

The techniques are, for example, basic stuff like sawing, filing and
anealing plus advanced techniques like making clasps, decorative
finishes and stone setting.

The book ends with a gallery and a very useful conversion
table plus a glossary just before the index pages.

All in all I personally think, it's a great book and I wouldn't be without it!

Please have a look at the other book reviews of my fellow team members.









4 comments:

  1. I've looked at that book, the top to bottom split sounds like it would be really useful as it's always nice having the picture of what your aiming for open in front of you while you are following the instructions on how to get there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very useful comment about this book! - thank you Sylvia! Winter showed up here in Switzerland - very snowy! Have a good day, Romi

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like an interesting way to create a book. I will have to look for it in the bookstore. I have a metalsmithing class on my list of things to do once I retire from the day job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous book review - certainly one to check out

    ReplyDelete