Sunday, February 13, 2011

Mixed Metal Bangle

I have always been excited about mixing metals within one jewelry
piece. In the last team blog carnival another team member (O'refined)
made me interested in bronze.

A few years ago I made a silver bangle for myself during a silver
smith course.


 With the silver prices going to infinity and beyond I opted
for a different version.

I bought sheets of copper, brass and bronze.


Having recently purchased some brass embossing plates, I used
them in conjunction with the sheets in my rolling mill.


I already started cutting and sawing out two strips...
the copper and brass one


and I learnt so far that bronze doesn't want to be cut or
sawed or hammered unless you use abusive language and brute
force. But it did give in eventually :)

At the moment I am in the soldering stage, more pictures later...
...if I am successful :) ...

4 comments:

  1. Sylvia, I love this post. I find "process" posts really interesting and rour final product of the bangle is just gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I just read the post! I'm so glad you were able to get some. How did the soldering go? I'm having a hard time finding phosphorus bronze here, so I've opted to try the bronze clay route instead.

    It is hard to cut. I usually end up with blisters on my hands from cutting jump rings, but I still love bronze :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The soldering is going pretty bad :( .I melted some solder on each layer and am trying to solder them all at once, that's what I did with the silver bangle. But they simply don't want to connect. I even got a bigger torch. My last option is to solder it with two torches, one from top and one from bottom (got a little tripod with a mesh on top). But I am not keen on doing it that way, I am scared I am too clumsy with two torches at once. If you have got any other idea please holler :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sylvia, I love this post. I find "process" posts really interesting and rour final product of the bangle is just gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete